Olivet recognized as 2018–2019 College of Distinction for Education

Striving for excellence and responsiveness in keeping teacher preparation programs current.

October 24, 2018 Academics

Recently recognized for excellence by CollegesofDistinction.com, the School of Education at Olivet Nazarene University continues to prepare students for success in their chosen career of teaching. This is no small assignment, given the changing landscape of education in Illinois and the U.S.

Olivet_School of Education_College of Distinction_recognition_student teaching_Web.jpg

“At Olivet, we strive to create the best student experience possible for our education majors,” says Dr. Lance Kilpatrick, dean of the School of Education. “Currently, there is a national teacher shortage. We want to encourage people who want to be teachers to choose this honorable and respected profession.”

Incoming education students and their parents point to several distinctives when choosing Olivet for teacher preparation programs. Students and graduates underscore the value of these, too.
•    As early as sophomore year, education majors are in the classroom to experience the education system they will soon be entering. To meet State of Illinois and program requirements, candidates need 120 to 160 hours of field experience in classrooms working with teacher and students. This year, 300 of Olivet’s teaching candidates are going out to serve and learn in public and private education settings.
•    Prior to joining Olivet’s faculty, 100 percent of faculty members have worked for multiple years in PK-12 classrooms.
•    Lifelong learning is a priority for faculty members with 80 percent of full-time faculty holding an earned doctorate degree in education, and the remaining 20 percent currently enrolled in a doctoral program.
•    Overall pass rate is 98 percent for graduating seniors who take the edTPA, a student teacher performance assessment required for licensure in Illinois.
•    Professors encourage and challenge education majors to integrate their faith with learning so they will enter their own classrooms as Christ-like examples and role models.

Olivet_School of Education_College of Distinction_recognition_special education teaching_students_Web.jpg

The School of Education strives for responsiveness in keeping its programs current. Within the last five years, it has:
•    Revised the Early Childhood, Elementary Education and Middle Grades programs to meet licensing and hiring requirements

Olivet_School of Education_College of Distinction_recognition_early childhood_teacher_Web.jpg
•    Launched a new undergraduate special education teacher training program with the first graduates in Olivet’s Class of 2017
•    Launched the Exceptional Students Tutoring Lab in 2018 with teacher candidates assisting local K–12 students
•    Received a Level 5 Gateway credential for the child development major — now in the School of Education, effective at the start of the 2018–2019 academic year
•    Established an active chapter of the Council for Exceptional Children

Majors, minors and endorsements currently offered by the School of Education are: art teaching, child development, early childhood education, elementary education, English teaching, English as a Second Language endorsement, mathematics teaching, music education, physical education and health teaching, science education, secondary education, social studies education, Spanish teaching, special education teacher training program.

Olivet_School of Education_College of Distinction_recognition_Spanish teaching_Web.jpg

Olivet’s School of Education is a recognized education preparation provider by the Illinois State Board of Education in consultation with the State Educator Preparation and Licensure Board. Each program has also been individually approved for licensure by the Illinois State Board of Education.  Each education program is currently aligned with its national professional associations. Olivet is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.

For more information about Olivet’s School of Education, contact the Office of Admissions at admissions@olivet.edu or 800-648-1463.

Published: 10/24/2018

Student on main campus wearing pink sweater and holding water bottle.

Where Your Future Begins

We Believe. You Belong Here. Discover why Olivet is a place where faith meets calling. Take the first step today.

Plan a Visit Start my Application