Chapel 2019: “Reimagine: A Better Place.”
Spiritual development for students, faculty and staff is an important part of the Olivet experience. Chaplain Mark Holcomb ’81/D.D. ’18, takes leadership for providing many of the elements to make that possible.
Each year, Chaplain Holcomb casts a vision for each semester of chapel services and invites top Christian speakers and preachers to present messages that tie into the them. Fall 2019 chapel services will revolve around “Reimagine: A Better Place.” Each chapel service starts with worship music led by Nathan Lain ’18, chapel worship coordinator, and student musicians.
Speakers scheduled for the fall 2019 chapels at Olivet are:
• Dr. John C. Bowling, University President
• Skye Jethani, Measure the Clouds Ministry
• Dr. N.T. Wright, Anglican Bishop and chair of New Testament and Early Christianity at the School of Divinity at the University of St. Andrews, Scotland
• Dr. Chris Pollock, lead pastor at Midtown Church of the Nazarene, Oklahoma City
• Danielle Strickland, Brave Global
• Dr. Max Reams, chair emeritus, Department of Chemistry and Geosciences at Olivet Nazarene University
• Kent Annan, director of humanitarian and disaster leadership institute at Wheaton College
• Dr. Theon Hill, assistant professor of communications at Wheaton College
• Dr. Steve Green, president of Hobby Lobby
• Jefferson Bethke, New York Times best-selling author
• Effrem Smith, founding pastor of The Sanctuary Covenant Church in Minneapolis
• Dr. Jeff Stark, director of the Center for Theological Leadership and associate professor at Olivet Nazarene University
• Dr. Matthew Soerens, U.S. director of Church Mobilization at World Relief and adjunct professor at Wheaton College
When the Betty and Kenneth Hawkins Centennial Chapel and the Crawford Auditorium were constructed and dedicated in 2010, the primary focus was on bringing the Olivet community together in one place for worship and spiritual growth. Twice each week, from August through May, chapel gatherings add significant meaning to campus life. In that setting, many have accepted Christ and committed or recommitted to serve Him.
Highlights from 2018-19 chapel services may be viewed here.