The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in mathematics teaching is a program designed for students with a passion for teaching and skills in mathematics. Teachers of mathematics help develop students’ quantitative skills, preparing them for their professional and personal lives.
At Olivet, students will study three levels of calculus, abstract algebra, modern college geometry and classroom management. Students will complete between 100 to 130 hours of field experiences. Once completed, they will spend 60 supervised days teaching in a real classroom.
Mathematics teaching is ideal for students who:
- Enjoy puzzles and math problems
- Explain math concepts to others
- Enjoy using both logic and creativity
- Love numbers and want to work with numbers every day
- Respond to the energy of young people and their fresh ideas
- Never tire of answering questions about math
Olivet Nazarene University’s Teacher Education Program is a recognized education preparation program by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) in consultation with the State Educator Preparation and Licensure Board (SEPLB). Each teaching program that is offered at Olivet has been individually approved for licensure.
Department of Education >
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science >