Earn a degree in Chemistry and prepare for a career in Forensic Science, Biochemistry or General Chemistry.
A chemist is behind most of the products we use to make life easier every day: hair and beauty products, paint, insect repellants, sunscreen, medicines, automobiles, clothing — the list is endless. Students who want to study chemistry choose from three concentrations:
- General Chemistry, which prepares them for a graduate program or employment in the industry
- Biochemistry, which prepares them for a graduate program such as pharmacy, dental or medical school; or to work in biochemical, organic or pharmaceutical research
- Forensic Science, which prepares them to enter a graduate program, work in a crime lab or do forensic testing. Olivet is among the first group of Christian universities offering this concentration.
Students work together with faculty members to publish and present the results of their research and often have the opportunity to present at prestigious, professional meetings and conferences. Recently, Olivet students have presented their work at the annual meeting of the Geological Society of America and the Associated Colleges of the Chicago Areas (ACCA) Student Symposium.
Newly Renovated Chemistry Lab
Olivet’s recently renovated chemistry lab includes:
- NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) spectrometer
- Complete gas chromatography-mass spectroscopy system
- High pressure liquid chromatography system
- Complete digital fluorometer
- Research grade microwave reacting system
- Fourier infrared spectrometer
- Electroanalytical analyzer
- Molecular modeling software
- Ultraviolet visible spectrometers
- Electrophoresis apparati
- Calorimetry equipment
- Microwave plasma atomic emission spectrometer