The Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) in Art Education is an Illinois state-approved program designed from theoretical and practical approaches to teaching visual art in K-12 schools. Students who seek to become art teachers themselves are immersed in study through both the education and art departments to build a rich body of knowledge.
Olivet's art education students learn in closely knit classes designed not only to build skill in a variety of art mediums, but to apply those skills in building their own art curriculum for their future classrooms. The Department of Art and Digital Media strives to prepare future art teachers with sound artistic skill, practical teaching experiences, and a desire to serve others through the arts. Technology integration, the role of the arts in contemporary culture and contemporary teaching practices are emphasized.
Art Education Teaching License
ONU's Art Education Program is guided both by state and national standards and meets the curricular requirements for a Professional Educator License with the state of Illinois. Minors in art education are offered to guide students in gaining a K-12 subsequent endorsement for their early childhood, elementary or high school teaching license. Each teaching program that is offered at Olivet has been individually approved for licensure and is a recognized education preparation program by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) in consultation with the State Educator Preparation and Licensure Board (SEPLB).
Art Education Program Requirements:
- Study traditional and digital art mediums, educational theory and practice, and participate in the Illinois & National Art Education Associations.
- Observe and teach art in local elementary and high schools.
- Create an original body of personal artwork for a senior thesis art exhibition.
- Student teach for a semester before graduation in both an elementary/middle school and a high school.
- Build the skills, connections and resources necessary for a successful launch into the field of Art Education.