Harlow E. Hopkins Alumni Center
1 University Ave
Bourbonnais, IL 60914
This historic community home dates back to 1902. Designed by a student of Frank Lloyd Wright, it first housed the family of Kankakee businessman and banker Harvey J. Legris. In the 1930s, it was called St. Bernard’s Hall and was home to Viatorian novices studying for the priesthood at St. Viator College. During this time, guests such as Maria Von Trapp and William Jennings Bryan stayed here. The home was purchased in 1946 by Olivet, shortly after the University’s purchase of and move to the St. Viator College campus in Bourbonnais. Renamed Goodwin Hall after John W. Goodwin, a former general superintendent for the Church of the Nazarene, it served as a men’s residence hall for Olivet’s growing student body. In 1951, it became home to Olivet’s music and art departments’ until 1952 when those departments moved to Larsen Fine Arts Center. While serving as pastor of College Church of the Nazarene, Dr. John C. Bowling and his wife, Jill, rented the house from the University. After Dr. Bowling was elected University president, the house transitioned into the Alumni Center and was renamed after Dr. Harlow E. Hopkins, former chair of the Department of Music. Today, the Harlow E. Hopkins Alumni Center serves as a hospitality center for social gatherings and guests, as well as additional office space. First floor: Parlor, library of Aurora yearbooks, dining room, kitchen, International Students Office. There are also three guest suites plus a sitting room. Second floor: Office of Church Relations, Pacific Rim Student Services and additional offices for the Office of Institutional Advancement. Third floor: Workspace for Olivet’s Preaching Ambassadors.