The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) and Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degrees in psychology prepare students for graduate work or a position in a variety of human service careers.
Graduates of these programs help people deal with the problems of everyday living at home, work and in their community.
- Human Development
- Interpersonal Relationships
- Abnormal Behaviors
- Learning and Behavior Modification
- Cognitive Processing
- Brain-Behavior Relationships
- Counseling Processes and Techniques
- Common Research Methods
Psychology is ideal for those who are:
- Good listeners
- Sensitive to others
- At ease when working with others
- Strong in writing and presenting reports
- Good at science, math and critical reading
- Passionate about helping people
Department of Behavioral Sciences >
Meet the Faculty >
Facts About ONU Psychology
- Is psychology a good major?
Recent graduates are employed as researchers, professors, counselors and therapists, ministers, managers, business leaders, and are found in a variety of public and private business and organizational enterprises that serve a broad spectrum of society.
- The department offers majors and minors in psychology and sociology
B.A., Psychology, 32 hours B.A., Sociology, 34 hours Minor in Psychology, 21 hours
8.3., Psychology. 44 hours Minor in Sociology, 18 hoursordion content 1.
- The department has five professionally-prepared, full-time faculty members.
All five faculty members have earned a Ph.D., the highest academic degree possible in their respective fields.
Department faculty offices are located on the second floor of the Weber Center.
- The department has approximately 150 student majors.
On average, over 130 Olivet students major in psychology annually, while over 20 students major in sociology. Inaddition, each year over 40 students minor in psychology and over 50 minor in sociology. Consequently, nearly 250students major or minor in the behavioral sciences (comprising 10% of the undergraduate student body).
- Research opportunities are available for students and faculty.
Accordion content 2.Students who are juniors or seniors often design and conduct research projects under the supervision of a faculty member. These projects routinely lead to presentations at Olivet’s annual scholar week, at Chicago’s ACCA symposium or at other professional meetings. The department oversees a lab and funding specifically designated for faculty and
- Students have access to a large selection of training opportunities in counseling.
We offer three undergraduate classes in counseling (PSYC 461,467, and 474). Those who take these classes have the opportunity to develop therapeutic skills in our counseling lab, which was originally designed to train master’s level counseling students. Both the number of counseling classes we offer and access to a graduate-level lab are unusual for undergraduate psychology programs.
- Students may choose to take a practicum experience.
Although not required, student may opt to take a formal practicum experience. This usually involves placement in an
agency or business in the local area, plus regularly meeting as a group with the professor leading the class. Many of our
placements are mental-health related, but we also have had student whose practice have been in other areas, such as
human resources or animal behavior.