Study Abroad FAQs

What study abroad programs are available?

The list of Olivet-Sponsored Programs consists of all programs offered by the Coalition of Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU), Nazarene International Language Institute (NILI), and Tokyo Christian University.

CCCU programs include culture-shaping programs and culture-crossing programs.

  • Culture-Shaping Programs
  • American Studies Program
  • Contemporary Music Center
  • Los Angeles Film Studies Center
  • Culture-Crossing Programs
  • Australia Studies Center
  • Latin American Studies Program
  • Middle East Studies Program
  • Programs in Oxford (Semester and Summer)
  • Uganda Studies Program

The list of Olivet-Recognized Programs presently consists of Au Sable, International Business Institute and Romanian Studies, The King's College - NYC Semester, Korea Nazarene University, Africa Nazarene University, and Semester in Spain.

How much does it cost?

For all Olivet-sponsored or recognized programs Olivet’s Office of Student Accounts will pay for the cost of the student’s program once invoiced (students are responsible to pay for the program deposit). We will then reverse the Olivet general fee and full-time tuition charges for that semester, and charge the student’s account for the specified cost of the selected program. We will charge the student a $250 “Undergraduate Off-Campus Study Fee.”

When can I go?

To participate in any off-campus study abroad program, it is recommended that a student be in sophomore status with good academic standing at Olivet. The student must have the approval of the Office of Financial Aid, the Office of Student Accounts, Dean of Students and his/her academic advisor and the Study Abroad Coordinator. A student may take up to 18 semester hours through cross-registration at the undergraduate level and six hours at the graduate level. All other program-specific requirements must be met prior to application.

How do I apply?

  1. Access the Olivet Study Abroad Clearance Form.
  2. Speak to your Olivet faculty advisor.
  3. Begin filling out your application with the program sponsor.
  4. Seek out references. Deliver the appropriate program reference request forms to those you are asking to provide a reference.
  5. Meet with Olivet’s Office of Financial Aid.
  6. Meet with Olivet’s Office of Student Accounts.
  7. Meet with Olivet’s Office of Student Development.
  8. Bring a copy of the program application to the Olivet registrar. The registrar will provide the transcripts and then seek the vice president for academic affairs’ approval. The registrar will mail the transcripts and application to the program.
  9. Deliver Clearance Form to the Study Abroad Coordinator once all signatures have been attained.
  10. Once accepted into a study abroad program, you will need to visit the registrar to determine what credits you will earn.

How does study abroad or off campus study help me in my major?

All coursework completed in sponsored programs, and most coursework in recognized programs, is accepted for equivalent or elective credit at Olivet. All students are required to set a meeting with the registrar’s office to evaluate how the coursework will meet the academic needs of the student, prior to departure for your off-campus program.

Study Abroad Information

Get all of the details of our Study Abroad offerings at our Study Abroad page.

See Study Abroad Information