General Education for Teachers
The general education requirements for teachers are the same as those of other students in the University except that certain choices within the program must be made and the hours slightly increased to include the following:
- Elementary and Early Childhood Education majors are required to take the following courses to satisfy the general education Natural Sciences requirement: BIOL 201 or BIOL 125, PHSC 110, GEOL 140, and ENVI 310.
- MATH 111 and MATH 112 - Mathematics for Elementary Teachers I and II are both required to meet the mathematics requirement for elementary and early childhood education majors. A grade of "C-" or better in math is required for all teacher education majors.
- PSCI 223 - American Government is required for all Teacher Education programs in the social science general education area.
- One three-hour course in domestic multicultural understanding selected from SOCY 280, LIT 315, or COMM 349 and one international culture course selected from HIST 379, MULT 301, PHIL 325, SOCY 364, LIT 315, SOCY 280, or COMM 349 is required for elementary education and early childhood education majors who substitute international culture courses in place of foreign language.
- Grades of "C-" or better are required in each of the College Writing courses.