Department of General Studies
Connie Murphy (2000)
Assistant Professor and Chair of Department of General Studies; Director of Learning Development
B.A., 1979, Fairmont State College
M.A.E., 2000, Olivet Nazarene University
Kyle Ireland, (2007)
Assistant Professor, Department of General Studies; Director, Freshman Studies
B.A., 2002, Olivet Nazarene University
M.A.T., 2006, Olivet Nazarene University
The Department of General Studies provides a variety of services to support the academic success of undergraduate students at Olivet Nazarene University.
- Courses are provided for students needing to develop their learning skills
- The Learning Development Center (LDC) is available to provide English, Mathematics, and Microcomputer labs
- Supplemental course instruction is offered for several general education courses
- A peer tutoring program assists students desiring individual tutoring
- Students with documented disability may receive reasonable accommodations, such as tutors, note takers, and extended time on exams through the LDC. Arrangements for accommodations must be made through the Director of the LDC.
- All freshman students are required to participate in Olivet's freshman experience, which includes completing GNST 110 - Freshman Seminar: Connections. The Department of General Studies works closely with the Dean of Academic Support in coordinating the freshman experience.
- In addition, the Department of General Studies has worked with other academic departments in the development of an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree detailed in Chapter 2 of the Catalog. Specific program requirements are provided in the Department of Business, Department of Computer Science, Department of Exercise and Sports Science, and the Department of Family and Consumer Science.