Skip to Content
You are here:
Home / Admissions / FAQs


  • Have a quick question? Answers to some of our most frequently asked questions are listed below. If you don’t find the information you need, or you just want to chat with a live human being, please feel free to email us or call 800-648-1463.

  • Admissions FAQ

    What are admissions requirements – ACT/GPA?

    We require an application, an ACT or SAT test score, and a transcript from your high school. The application can be submitted free online. The ACT or SAT score report should come directly from ACT/SAT, or it can appear on your transcripts. Your transcripts can be mailed or faxed from your high school and must include three years of high school work (freshman through junior years). We require a score on the ACT of an 18 or higher. If the SAT was taken March of 2016 and beyond we require a 960. We require a 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale. We accept some students below these standards after a thorough review of application materials. These students are placed in our Essentials of Learning program.

    **If the SAT was taken before March of 2016 it is not under the revised SAT scoring system and contact your Admissions Counselor for further requirements.

    Can freshmen bring AP credit/college credit/dual credit?
    Freshmen can transfer post-secondary credits pending a review by our registrar. We accept AP credits, college course credit, dual credit, International Baccalaureate, and CLEP credits. In each case, a satisfactory grade or score must be obtained and the course credit must correspond to a required course at Olivet. In every case, an official report of the course must be provided to the Office of Admissions. This report is then reviewed by the registrar, who then awards or denies credit.
    How do I schedule a campus visit?
    There is no better way to consider a college than to spend some time on the ground. It is vital to speak with students, staff and faculty, to look around, to experience a taste of what college life would be like for you. Our visits are highly individualized based on your interests and needs. You can schedule a visit in many ways: reserve online, contact the admissions office via email, or call Jean Milton, our campus visit coordinator at 800-648-1463.
    Can you send a pennant, t-shirts or other ONU gear to my high school?
    If you’re interested in materials or gear to represent Olivet, please contact the Office of Admissions via email or by telephone (800-648-1463) and communicate your request. Not all requests can be fulfilled, but we are always interested in promoting Olivet whenever we can!
    Does Olivet offer online classes?
    Our undergraduate program offers a range of online courses. These online courses are offered during optional summer terms. For more information, check out the online catalog. Our School of Graduate and Continuing Studies also provides both undergraduate and graduate course offerings in online format.
    Does Olivet have an application deadline?
    We process applications on a rolling basis. However, this doesn’t mean you should wait until the last minute to apply! Our freshman class fills quickly. The sooner you apply the better!
    Can you send me information about ONU and the majors Olivet offers?
    You can get a wealth of information about Olivet and our degree programs right here on this website. You can take a look at our Chapel, music, and athletic events here. You can learn more about our degree programs here. To learn more about the admissions process, just go here. You can also contact us directly via email, or by telephone (800-648-1463).
    What is the next step after applying?
    The best way to know what’s next is to log in and see your status. We also strongly recommend you come visit us and see what ONU is all about! You will also need to send us your transcripts and your ACT or SAT test scores. Your admissions counselor will keep you up-to-date on everything.
    Can you tell me more about scholarships and financial aid?
    An education at Olivet Nazarene University is worth the investment. In order to help you make it happen, Olivet has scholarship opportunities for students based on academic performance, leadership and service experience, and financial need. We also have scholarships for those talented in athletics, music, and art. To find out more details on the financial aid process go here. You can also always contact the Office of Admissions (800-648-1463) or your admissions counselor. If you know you want to be at Olivet, we want to serve you and do everything we can to make it happen. Please don’t hesitate to contact us!

    Financial Aid FAQ

    When should I fill out the FAFSA?
    We encourage you to apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after October 1 by using your tax information from your previous year’s taxes. Once you have completed your taxes for the year, you will need to log back in to make the corrections on your FAFSA. Olivet’s priority deadline is January 1.
    Who receives financial aid?
    In order for a student to receive federal financial aid and/or institutional need-based financial aid, the student must be eligible to apply and complete the FAFSA. All students who are eligible and demonstrate financial need are eligible to receive aid. Financial aid is determined through a complex analysis of each family's income, assets, family size and other variables.
    How is financial need determined?
     When you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the federal government sends your FAFSA information to the Financial Aid Office. Our financial aid staff uses this information and the information that you provide to assess your need. Each family is expected to contribute a portion of the parents' income and assets and a portion of the student's earnings and assets.
    What is included in a financial award?
    Three types of need based aid that may be awarded: grants both federal and state, student loans, and money earned through work-study. Olivet also offers several merit based scholarships and grants. There are outside scholarships, such as private scholarships and loans that are not based on financial need. 
    Do I have to accept all of of the loan funds that I am offered?
     You can choose to reduce the amount of the loan, or refuse it all, and still keep the grant portion of your package. All students who file the FAFSA will eligible for some government loan assistance through the application of the FAFSA.
    Can I pay in installments?
     Your bill is due in full each semester. The student and parents are responsible to pay for whatever is not covered by financial aid. The Office of Student Accounts has an installment program available to help your family budget their payment. For more information, contact the Student Accounts office at 815-939-5245.
    Are loans available to parents?
    There are Federal PLUS loans available to help parents finance their portion of the family contribution. Parents can borrow up to the amount of the full cost of attendance, less all financial aid the student is receiving.
    Will I apply for aid each year?
    Your aid eligibility will be evaluated each year, based on the information that you provide on the current year FAFSA and financial aid application. Students are eligible to apply for financial aid for at least eight full-time semesters. If students require more financial aid for more than eight semesters to complete degree requirements, they may apply for fifth year eligibility.  
    Will my financial aid change if my circumstances change?
    If your family experiences an unforeseen change in financial circumstances, or if you feel you have special circumstances that should be taken into account, please notify our office. We will review your situation for additional consideration. 
    Where can I get more information?
     Email your counselor with any general questions regarding your awards and financial aid process.

    Parent FAQ

    What types of organizations are available for my student?
    Students may choose to participate in a variety of organizations on campus, including service, departmental, music and spiritual life groups. For a complete list of organizations, click here
    How do I know if my student is eligible for financial aid?
    The Office of Financial Aid can assist you in finding scholarships, grants, loans and other financial aid to help make education affordable.
    How do I add Tiger Dollars to my student’s account?
    You can deposit more funds into your student’s Tiger Dollars account using this online form. In order to log in, you will need your student's email address and ONU ID number.
    What services are available to help students succeed in their classes?
    To learn more about academic support services, click here.
    My student is sick. Who should they call?
    Olivet’s Office of Health Services offers basic services for students who are ill or in need of lab work, allergy injections or medication. To learn more about these services, click here. For emergency services, Olivet is located within a 10-minute drive of two major hospitals: Riverside Medical Center  and Presence St. Mary’s Hospital.
    Are there counseling services available for my student?
    The Office of Counseling Services offers many group and individual services to help students achieve personal, academic and spiritual growth. To learn more about these services, click here.
    How do I arrange a campus visit for my student who is considering attending Olivet?
    Register for a campus visit online, or by calling our campus visit coordinator at 800-648-1463.
    Is there a parents and family weekend?
    In addition to Homecoming & Family Weekend, families are welcome to visit their student at any time.
    What is required and how do I submit Health and Immunization records?
    Detailed instructions are available on the Health Services webpage

    Transfers FAQ

    How do I get the most information about transferring to Olivet Nazarene University?
    The best way for you to get the most information about transferring to Olivet is by applying and setting up a campus visit.
    Does it cost anything to apply?
    No, if you apply online, it’s free!
    Do you need my high school transcript and test scores or just my college transcript(s)?
    If you have taken 15 credit hours or less from a 2-year or 4-year institution then we will admit you off your high school transcript and test scores. If you have 16 credit hours or more then we will admit you off your college transcripts. Either way, the courses you have taken at 2-year and 4-year institutions will transfer as long as they are college level courses with passing grades that the Registrar has approved with a C or better. Most courses from these institutions transfer.
    Do you offer academic grants or scholarships for transfer students?
    Yes, we offer generous academic grants and scholarships for transfer students. If your GPA is 2.0-2.99, you are eligible for an academic grant. If your GPA is 3.0 or higher, you are eligible for an academic scholarship. These grants and scholarships are renewable for up to four years of your education at Olivet as long as you maintain the minimum GPA.
    Do my transcripts have to be an official copy to be admitted?
    No, we can admit you off an unofficial copy of your transcript, but we will need an official copy prior to you starting classes.
    Do you offer scholarships for honors students?
     Members of the national Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society receive higher academic awards. Check with the Registrar’s office at your current school to see if you qualify to be a member of Phi Theta Kappa!
    Do you offer any other scholarships or grants?
    We have numerous scholarships and grants awarded for athletics, music performance, art, marching band, orchestra, leadership and need. You can get multiple scholarships and grants, and they will be combined with your academic grant or scholarship.
    Why do you require an enrollment deposit before Pre-registration?
    Your enrollment deposit lets us know you’re serious about attending Olivet. It allows you to reserve your seat in the classroom and your bed in the dorm (if needed). It is refundable up to a certain date. Get this in as soon as possible so when Pre-Registration begins, you can get into the classes you need to graduate on time.
    Can I transfer with an undecided major?
    Yes, you can! We will enroll you in general education courses for the first term that you are here and connect you with the Center for Student Success to help you choose a major that fits you.
    Do I have to live on campus or can I commute?
    If your 22 years old or younger, you have the opportunity to live on-campus. If you live locally with your family, or are 23 years of age or older, you can commute to and from campus. All on-campus and commuter students are allowed to have cars, as long as it is registered with the Office of Public Safety, which is free!
    Will my nursing courses transfer to Olivet?
    As with most other nursing schools across the country, Olivet does not accept transfer credit for nursing courses from other nursing programs. We will gladly accept qualifying credit done in areas like biology, chemistry, sociology, math, etc., but all nursing courses (including NURS 202) must be taken at Olivet.