Anticipation continues to grow as Olivet prepares to open its newest campus building, the 168,000-square-foot Student Life and Recreation Center, on Wednesday, December 12, 2012, at 12:12 a.m. Dr. John C. Bowling, University president, and Dr. Jill Bowling will host the opening ceremony and activities for the Olivet students, faculty and staff.
“Our main goal for this Center is to strengthen the sense of community among our students,” said Dr. Woody Webb, vice president of student development. “We are also excited about the new opportunities this facility gives us for our thriving intramural and intercollegiate athletic programs.”
The Center includes:
• Eight-lane, 200-meter running track with Mondo surface, making Olivet one of only a few colleges in Illinois with this type of track. The track’s surface is identical to that used for 2012 Olympic competitions.
• Two pools, including a 10-lane competition pool with a constant depth of two meters. The first home meet for Olivet’s new women’s swim team
is on Friday, December 14.
• Four-story rock climbing wall that is one of the largest among U.S. universities
• 72,000-square-foot field house with running track and four basketball courts
• Workout facilities
• Large game area
• Spacious central lounge where students can gather for recreation or study
Architects of the Center are Buchar, Mitchell, Bajt Architects, Inc.
of Joliet, Ill. Construction manager and general contractor for the project is Piggush Simoneau, Inc.
of Kankakee, Ill.