Time Status: Full Time
Reports To: Chair, Department of Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics at Olivet Nazarene University invites applications for a full-time faculty position to begin in the 2013-14 academic year. The Department of Mathematics is located in the College of Arts and Sciences. The department offers both B.A. and B.S. degrees in mathematics, a B.S. in mathematics education, and a B.S. in actuarial science. Minors are also offered in both mathematics and mathematics education. The department is a thriving group of individuals with six full-time faculty and approximately 80 majors.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Teach approximately 12 credit hours per semester. Courses taught will be undergraduate mathematics courses ranging from liberal arts level classes to junior and senior level courses for mathematics majors. Upper level courses will be dependent on the candidate’s area of expertise.
2. Perform typical departmental and institutional duties including: committee work, attendance at faculty meetings, and participation in departmental activities.
3. Provide a positive professional model to students, mentor students, and advise students academically.
4. Maintain a program of professional activities.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Ph.D. (or near completion) in mathematics education, mathematics, or a related field. Candidates at the ABD stage in a mathematics field and strong teaching credentials will be considered. There is a strong need for a candidate with the qualifications to assist in supervising mathematics education students.
2. Candidates must have a strong commitment to the values and lifestyle of evangelical Christianity, profess a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and have a philosophy of Christian higher education consistent with the University’s Wesleyan tradition.
3. The department seeks candidates who demonstrate strong commitment to excellence in undergraduate teaching in a liberal arts setting and exhibit a commitment to scholarship and continued professional development.
Send a cover letter, curriculum vita, unofficial transcript, statement of teaching philosophy, statement of Christian faith, and three letters of recommendation (at least one addressing teaching ability) to
Dr. Dale K. Hathaway, Chairman
One University Avenue
Department of Mathematics,
Olivet Nazarene University,
Bourbonnais, IL, 60914
Inquiries can also be made by phone at 815-939-5314 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until January 11, 2013.