A Guatemalan by birth, a licensed architect and a Fulbright Scholar, Dr. Gustavo A. Crocker will deliver the keynote address at Olivet Nazarene University’s 101st traditional undergraduate Commencement ceremony. In June 2013, he was elected as the 41st general superintendent of the Church of the Nazarene at the 28th General Assembly in Indianapolis, Ind. Fluent in four languages, he has authored several books and articles in Spanish and English, and his writings have been translated into more than 20 languages.
The undergraduate ceremony will be held in the Betty and Kenneth Hawkins Centennial Chapel on Saturday, May 10, 2014, 9:30 a.m. Several special awards to honored students and faculty members will be presented during the ceremony, including honorary degrees to Dr. Gustavo Crocker, and to alumni Lindell Browning and Kay (Embick) Browning.
The Commencement ceremony for the School of Graduate and Continuing Studies will be held Saturday, May 10, 2:30 p.m., in Centennial Chapel. Dr. John C. Bowling, president of the University, will give the Commencement address. Student, faculty and dissertation awards will be presented.
Commencement also includes these related on-campus activities:
- Commencement Concert featuring Olivet’s Orchestra and selected student soloists with Dr. Neil Woodruff, music professor, conducting, Saturday, May 3, 7 p.m., Kresge Auditorium in Larsen Fine Arts Center
- Dedication of the Douglas E. Perry Student Life and Recreation Center, 11 a.m.
- Installation of the sculpture “For God So Loved the World” by noted sculptor Scott Stearman, Friday, May 9, 3:45 p.m., near the east entrance of Centennial Chapel
- Social work pinning ceremony and presentation of the Spirit of Social Work Award, May 9, 1 p.m., Kresge Auditorium
- Honors Program reception, May 9, 1:30 p.m., Warming House
- Nursing pinning ceremony for traditional graduates, May 9, 2 p.m., College Church of the Nazarene
- School of Theology and Christian Ministry graduation chapel, May 9, 2:30 p.m., Kelley Prayer Chapel
- Baccalaureate service, May 9, 7:30 p.m., Centennial Chapel, with Dr. John C. Bowling delivering the sermon and charge to the Class of 2014
- Military commissioning ceremony for ROTC cadets, May 10, noon, Kresge Auditorium
Download Full Schedule