Olivet's 2013 Commencement Concert provides an opportunity to recognize and feature several top music students on Saturday, April 27, 7 p.m., at Kresge Auditorium in Larsen Fine Arts Center. A varied classical music program includes the University Orchestra and University String Ensemble with Dr. Neal Woodruff '91 conducting.
“Our Department of Music has a long and distinguished history, producing graduates who are leaders in performance, education, music business and in the church,” Dr. Woodruff said. “This year’s group of soloists is outstanding, befitting the celebration of our 100th Commencement Concert.”
More than 30 Olivet students auditioned to perform as soloists. For this year’s concert, the music faculty selected the following, based on their musical skills and accomplishments:
- Chris LeFevre (senior, Ashton, Ill.), piano, Beethoven’s Concerto No. 3, in C minor, Op. 37, Allegro con brio
- David Rice (junior, Traverse City, Mich.), baritone, Verdi’s “E sogno o realta” (from Falstaff)
- Elizabeth Morley (senior, Valparaiso, Ind.), piano, Rachmaninoff’s Concerto No. 2, Op. 18, Adagio sostenuto
- Ashley Raffauf (senior, Homewood, Ill.), soprano; Seth Lowery (senior, Kankakee, Ill.), tenor; and Ben Geeding (junior, Manteno, Ill.), baritone, Donizetti’s “Tous les trois re unis” (from La Fille du Regiment)
- Chris Field (senior, Clare, Mich.), marimba, Sejourne’s Concerto for Marimba and Strings, Tempo Souple
- Ashley Raffauf, soprano, Verdi’s “Ah fors e lui . . . Sempre libera” (from La Traviata)
- Josh Ring (senior, Dunlap, Ill.), piano, Rubinstein’s Concerto in G major, Op. 45, Moderato assai
There is no admission charge for this concert. For more information, call 815-939-5110 or email.